Hi! My name is Renata and I like to write. Really. A lot.
I have a Master degree in British Studies, focusing on media, culture and cultural management, from the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. My masters thesis was about the interaction between English humour and journalism, having as the object of study the work British comedian John Oliver has done in his HBO show, Last Week Tonight –you can read my full dissertation here.
I am a big enthusiast of creative work and I have recently completed the Basic Track module of the Design Thinking course offered by the d.school of the Hasso-Plattner-Institut at the University Potsdam.
I’m in Germany since April 2013, where in addition to my studies I also did several freelance work for newspapers and magazines in Brazil, besides working for the Brazilian service of Deutsche Welle.
I studied journalism at Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo (PUC-SP) and worked for around a decade in newsrooms in Brazil. During that time I was fortunate to cover events in Germany, France, Bolivia, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela.
In 2012 I became a fellow of the Internationale Journalisten-Programme (IJP). With their support I was able to work during three months at dpa, the most important news agency in Germany.
Through my masters I had the opportunity to do a three-month internship at Pearson plc in London. There I was responsible for strategic communications and social media within the company.
I have worked as a radio producer and also have experience in PR. I am a proud graduate of the 17th Intensive Course on Applied Journalism, offered by Grupo Estado and recognized as a masters degree by the University of Navarra, in Spain. I am a native speaker of Portuguese and am too fluent in English and Spanish. My knowledge of German is intermediate and of French is basic.
You can download my full CV by clicking on the link bellow. If you have any questions, just drop me a line –I love getting emails!
Here are some examples, in Portuguese, of my work:
Reporter spends 48 hours on bitcoins
For two days, ‘regular’ money remained inside the
wallet and all expenditures were made with the
digital currency in Berlin, the city with the largest
number of bitcoin aficionados. Bureaucracy, however,
still plays a large part in the process.
Homeless and activists form Berlin’s first ‘favela’
Amongst the modern and luxurious buildings popping out
along the banks of the Spree river in Berlin, one wasteland
draws the attention of the people passing by. The Cuvry, as
it is called, has about 60 inhabitants who reject the term ‘favela’
and prefer to call it a ‘camp’.
Abandoned amusement park attracts Cold-Era aficionados in Berlin
In the middle of the Plänterwald forest, in the East part of the German capital,
lies one of the most valuable hidden treasures from the time when Germany
was divided in two: the Spreepark. Rusting between trees and mud, dinosaurs
and swan-shaped boats are some of the few survivors of what was once one of
the most popular parks in East Berlin.
Tokyo: Where the customer turns into chef and the gutter serves as a bed
The waiter brings a plate of raw meats (beef, chicken or pork), vegetables and
bowls of sauces. He lights a stove and leaves the pan with the boiling water
ready to cook. The rest is up to you. In Tokyo, the customer turns into the
chef of the restaurant when it is time to eat shabu-shabu, a dish created in
the mid-20th century in Osaka, in the southern part of Japan.
A tour of Liverpool: Above us only sky
More than 50 years have passed since four young
lads from Liverpool got together and broke the
monotony of the postwar period. Today, millions
continue to visit the town from where John, Paul,
George and Ringo left to conquer the world.
- No Estilo de Chávez, família de líder concentra poder em Barinas: In Chávez’s style, leader’s family concentrates power in Barinas. Report was filled from Caracas, Venezuela, in 2008. It is about how the family of Venezuelan president, Hugo Chávez, was controlling their home State.
- Explosão força bolivianos a reduzir envio de gás ao Brasil: Explosion forces Bolivians to reduce gas exports to Brazil. Story was written in Santa Cruz de La Sierra, in Bolivia, during the crisis involving groups that demanded autonomy from La Paz and that nearly drove the country to a civil war in 2008.
- Choques deixam 8 mortos e Evo adverte que ‘paciência tem limites’: Clashes end with 8 dead and Evo warns that ‘patience has limits’. This report was written in Santa Cruz de La Sierra as the tension escalated between Bolivian president, Evo Morales, and groups that demanded autonomy from the central government in La Paz.
- Evo aceita negociar autonomia: Evo accepts to negotiate autonomy. After days of crisis, Bolivian president decided to talk with his opponents. Story written from Santa Cruz de La Sierra, the opposition’s stronghold.
- Diário revela lado obscuro das Farc: Diary reveals dark side of Farc’s guerrilla. Report about a Dutch girl who joined the Colombian guerrilla Farc and whose diary revealed more about the group’s actions.
- Cocaína faz o Sendero renascer: Cocaine strengthens Shining Path. Story about how the drug trafficking helped the Peruvian guerrilla Shining Path emerge from darkness after years.
- Eleito com folga, candidato de Uribe promete governo de união na Colômbia: Elected with great margin, Uribe’s candidate promises an union government in Colombia. Story filled from Bogota, after Juan Manuel Santos was elected president, in 2010.
- Em eleição indefinida, 4 candidatos lutam para disputar 2.º turno no Peru: In undefined election, 4 candidates fight to run on a second round in Peru. Written in Lima, this story was published on the day of the first round of the presidential election, in 2011.
- Vídeo – Eleições peruanas: a campanha de Keiko Fujimori: Video showing a day on the campaign trail with Keiko Fujimori in Lima.
- Farc mudam de tática e ampliam ações na Colômbia: Farc change tactics and increase actions in Colombia. Article shows how the Colombian guerrilla amplified attacks in Colombia despite the government’s offensive.
20th anniversary of the Berlin Wall’s fall
- A ideia: um muro ‘contra a subversão’: The idea: a wall ‘against subversion’. Written in Berlin, the story is about how the Berlin Wall was build. It was published in 2009, on the 20th anniversary of the wall’s fall.
- Túneis e balões ligavam leste a oeste: Tunnels and balloons connected East to the West. Story written in Berlin, in 2009, tells how East Germans tried to escape the city surrounded by a wall.
- Alemães do leste sentem saudades do antigo regime: East Germans miss old regime. In Berlin, Germans who used to live on the other side of the wall tell how there’s still a sense of nostalgia from the days when the city was divided.
- Vídeo – Muro de Berlim: 20 anos da unificação alemã: Video showing what has changed in Germany since the wall fell.
- Link – Egito: offline por cinco dias (capa): Link – Egypt: offline for five days (cover). Cover story published at the Technology desk of O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper about how the internet was off for five days during the beggining of the Arab Spring in Egypt in early 2011.
- Link – Egito: offline por cinco dias (parte 1): Link – Egypt: offline for five days (part 1). Cover story published at the Technology desk of O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper about how the internet was off for five days during the beggining of the Arab Spring in Egypt in early 2011.
- Link – Egito: offline por cinco dias (parte 2): Link – Egypt: offline for five days (part 2). Cover story published at the Technology desk of O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper about how the internet was off for five days during the beggining of the Arab Spring in Egypt in early 2011.
- A vitória de um intocável na Índia: The victory of an untouchable in India. Profile of an Indian entrepreneur who was born outside of the caste system in India and worked his way through the top despite prejudice from society.
- Democracia russa faz 20 anos à sombra de Putin: Russian democracy completes 20 years in the shadow of Putin. Article about the 20th anniversary of the end of the Soviet Union.
- Obama iguala Reagan em aprovação: Obama reaches same levels of approval that Reagan had. Story filled when American president, Barack Obama, completed 100 days in the White House.
- Febre do terceiro mandato atinge líderes de países em desenvolvimento: Third term ‘fever’ strikes leaders of developing countries.
- CeBIT.BR – Brasil é parceiro em maior feira de tecnologia da Europa: Brazil is the honor guest at the biggest technology event in Europe.
- Berlim constrói primeira casa sustentável: Berlin builts first 100%-green home.
- Retrato calado – Apenas dois investigadores ainda desenham criminosos à mão em São Paulo (parte 1): Silent portrait – City of São Paulo has only two police sketch artists who still draw manually the faces of criminals (part 1)
- Retrato calado – Apenas dois investigadores ainda desenham criminosos à mão em São Paulo (parte 2): Silent portrait – City of São Paulo has only two police sketch artists who still draw manually the faces of criminals (part 2).
- Quadrinista alemã retrata São Paulo durante intercâmbio artístico (parte 1): German cartoonist portrays São Paulo during artistic exchange (part 1).
- Quadrinista alemã retrata São Paulo durante intercâmbio artístico (parte 2): German cartoonist portrays São Paulo during artistic exchange (part 2).
- MIS vê visitação mais que dobrar em um ano e tenta trazer Bowie para mostra (parte 1): Museum doubles its visitation in one year and tries to bring David Bowie to exposition (part 1).
- MIS vê visitação mais que dobrar em um ano e tenta trazer Bowie para mostra (parte 2): Museum doubles its visitation in one year and tries to bring David Bowie to exposition (part 2).
- ‘Trânsito deve ser usado para leitura’, diz Zeca Camargo: ‘Time wasted on traffic jams should be used for reading’, says Zeca Camargo.
- Seguranças do Metrô apresentam repertório variado em estações de São Paulo: Safety officers at subways in São Paulo form a band and perform in stations.
- Revista Superinteressante – Muito mais que GPS: Article published at Superinteressante magazine about mobile phone apps used along with GPS.
- Revista Superinteressante – Contém: Cera, titânio e petróleo: Article published at Superinteressante magazine about the most intriguing ingredients of Trident White.
- Revista Superinteressante – Contém: Vísceras e testículos sintéticos: Article published at Superinteressante magazine about the most intriguing ingredients of Red Bull energy drink.
- Revista Superinteressante – Contém: Lubrificante e redutor de puns: Article published at Superinteressante magazine about the most intriguing ingredients of the mosquito repellent OFF!.
- Revista Superinteressante – Contém: O macarrão do incrível Hulk: Article published at Superinteressante magazine about the most intriguing ingredients of Cup Noodles.
- Antena UOL – Com clima informal e descontos altos, bazares são ‘caça ao tesouro’ para consumidores pacientes: Consumer trends story filled for UOL.
- Antena UOL – No bairro de Harajuku, em Tóquio, lojas de grife se misturam ao universo dos mangás: Story written in Tokyo about the city’s most fashionable district.
- Omelete.com.br – Lollapalooza 2008: Coverage of the Lollapalooza music festival in Chicago, in 2008.